Monday, December 22, 2014

Interview Experience - IIFT

IIFT #1
Name  :- Saquib Hasnain
Profile –
10th – 89.8%
12th – 88%
Grad – 8.34/10
Work Ex – 2 years in teaching
Name of the college – Indian Institute of Foreign Trade
Topic of the essay – Role of Nuclear Energy in India's Energy security
You will be given a single sheet and 20 minutes to write down the essay. The panel had told us clearly that there would be evaluating us on the content of the essay and the logical thought flow. And they are not interested in people who just use bombastic words or flowery language.
Group Discussion – Social networking sites disconnect rather than connect people.
There were 10 members in our group. First of all, everyone was given 2minutes to speak on the topic and then the floor was open for discussion for about 25-30minutes
Since the topic was so easy, everybody wanted to speak on it and sometimes the discussion turned into a fish market. I tried not to be a part of the fish market. During those 25-30minutes I could enter only once in the discussion. I was taking down all the important points that were being discussed, just in case if we are asked to summarise.
Luckily when the discussion ended, I was given the chances to summarise and give my final opinion on the topic.
Interview –
In my interview panel there were three members.(2 men and 1 woman - she teaches Managerial Accounting in IIFT in the first trimester)
When I had entered, the first they told me was that my handwriting is good.
The second question took me by surprise – they asked me to till which trust or who owns Heritage Institute of Technology ( this is the college where I did my engg. ).
After that they asked me the following questions –
1. Questions related to work experience – why teaching, what are your learnings from teaching, what are your expectations from your student.
2. Questions on my short term and long term goals – I had mentioned that I was interested in a particular specialization, so that asked me questions related to that.
3. I had mentioned about my dad in the question about who inspired you to do Business management – so they asked about my dad (his qualification, what kind of business, how he does it). They asked me to tell some of the reason for my dad’s success in the business.
4. They asked me whether risk should be taken in business or not and whether my dad took it?
5. Then questions related to team building and leadership skills were asked. I had mentioned about a competition that I had taken part in. So they asked me how did I manage my team, were there any conflicts, how do handle them?
6. Lastly they asked me why International Business and how is that related to the goals that I had mentioned in my 5 year, 15 year objectives.

IIFT #2

IIFT Essay-GD-PI experience:

Date: Feb 2nd, 2010Time: 9:30 AMVenue: Coffee Board, Bangalore
IIFT written score: 38.21
Essay:The entire process started bang on time at 9: 30 with the essay. The topic was "Discuss measures ti improve food security in India". Started with a background, Green Revolution etc...then included some points such as proper distribution channnels and the role of Government. All in all, it was ok but in hindsight, I could have done much better.
Group Discussion:The topic was: Should reality shows involving children be banned?There was 10 guys in the group(no girl). As is the case with all IIFT GDs, 1 min was each person to give an introduction. I gave a small background of the topic and stressed on the role of parents and how they should not pressurize their kids into anything. Also, I highlighted on the importance of knowledgable shows like KBC junior etc.
The discussion then continued for 20 minutes. Points ranged from-parents trying to live their dream through their children, need for a body to keep a check on the way kids are treated. I poked my head two or three times only but made valid points. I actively listened to the rest of the discussion. I just hope the 2 professors(a lady and a Gentleman) took notice. At the end, all of us had to summarize the discussion. A satisfactory GD in the end...
Personal Interview:
There were 3 Gentlemen in the panel. One looked like a corporate guy(P1 ), he had that look and was wearing a blazer. The second one(P2) spoke less and was mainly observing and taking a note of whatever I spoke. The third one(P3) asked most of the questions, he looked like a Professor in IIFT. All 3 of them had photocopies of the CV form we had sent by post earlier.
P1: Tell me something about yourselfMe: Blah blahh...started with schooling, college, job description, was about to talk about passions, and P3 stopped me midway.P3: So you are from an Army background, so what do you have to say about the Avadhesh Prakash controversy?Me: Gave my point of view, views on clean image, and the effect it can have on the men you command...some funda...P1: So, IBM huh? How many offices are there in Bangalore? What kind of business units reside in each of them?Me: told in detail...also told in brief about my sector and the customer I support.P1: So you are from IBM GBS?Me: Yes sirP3: I quote from your form the answer for the question: Career Objectives? You have written "I want to become a successful manager who could be a role model.....etc etc." This answer sounds a little too...Me: Moralistic...I understand sir. Actually, this is more like the kind of professional I intend to become. But as far as career is concerned, I want to do something in the field of sports...to be associated with...(was interrupted by P2)P2: How do you think the condition of sports can be improved in our country?Me: Gave an example of "Apollo Foundation" and their work in Tennis, lans to produce a Grand Slam champion by 2018.P2: Ok, leave Tennis and Cricket, do you think Private partners will be willing to invest in other sports?Me: Of course sir, India is a huge country and has a huge potential. With proper publicity and awareness, and economic security, we can become a great sporting naion. Gave the example of Olympics...India won 3 medals...etc.. Private sector will be willing to invest if they see an opportunity.P1: There is a steep decline in your marks from 10th to 12th and then engineering. Why?
Me: Explained that how Pune University has a strict marking regime. About 12th, told them that I concentrated on my entrance exams...mentioned that in 10th, I was one of the country toppers.
P1: In the question 'last books you have read', you have written "The Fourth Estate". Can you tell me something about it?Me: Explained them...a summary, Power struggle between 2 individuals for the largest media empire etc. etc.P1: What do you think about the current state of media in our country?Me: Explained how media has a big role to play, and how some channels fudge news...etc etc..P3: How do you think it can be improved?Me: Explained how some channels need to learn something from others..P3: Please elaborate..Me: Praised NDTV news channels...P3 didn't look too happyP3 and P1 discussed how at times, even NDTV crossed the line...how Times Now started out as a good channel...I just listened and nodded...P1 to P3: Anything else..? P3 said noI thanked all of them and left...a pretty chilled out interview I felt, any thoughts guys?? Hope they saw something in meViolin

No comments:

Post a Comment