Monday, December 22, 2014

Interview Experience - IIM Shillong

Note :- Scroll Down to view all the interviews for IIM S.

Interview Experience - IIM Shillong #1

Name :- Nishant
I reached the place at 1:40. I was the only one without a tie, so that made me a bit nervous. But when they came to the waiting hall at 2:00, I felt relieved to see them. They were casually dressed. At around 3:10 my turn came. I entered the room.
Good Afternoon.
P1: Good afternoon. Sit.
P2: Introduce yourself.
I gave them a brief introduction. And Is there anything specific you would like to know about me?
P2: Tell us about your strengths.
I told them what I had written in the form-that I was ……….
P3: So you are still in the final year?
Yes Sir.
P3: St, Xavier’s College? Park Street?
Yes Sir.
P3: The same St. Xavier’s School too?
No Sir. The one I studied is independent of the St. Xavier’s school in Park Street.
P1: So you are born and brought up in Bengal? Do you keep track of what’s happening here these days?
Yes Sir.
And we had a 10 minute discussion about Bengal – its political condition, its geographical location and about Gorkhaland. Mostly P2 asked the questions about Bengal. Questions like “Which do you thing is a better decision making process the one Mamta Banerjee follows or the one that CPIM followed? Tell about the merits and demerits of both the types of decision making. I told that Left Front took decisions by consulting senior ministers whereas Mamata takes decision mostly all on her own. Mentioned merits and demerits of both. P3 interrupted saying even Mamta has her senior ministers like Amit Mitra. I told them ministers are there but she doesn’t respect thm. I gave the example of Dinesh Trivedi. Then what are the neighboring states of Bengal? I told all. Then What are the advantages and disadvantages of having Bangladesh as a neighbor? Trade opportunities and Infiltration. In your opinion Should people of North Bengal be given a separate state? I told them they must be given a chance to govern themselves. Made a few strong points in their favour and also mentioned the negative sides associated with it.
Then suddenly P3 became very active and started questions about my acads. All questions were basic statistics and probability. Luckily he didn’t ask anything which I was not so good at. Questions were What was I studying now? Design of experiments and Sample Survey. Explain design of experiments to us.I explained. There was paper and pencil so it was easier explaining.
P3: Who started Design of experiments?
I don’t have idea about who started it Sir.
P3: Have you read clustered sampling?
Yes. And I explained. He asked to apply it to any survey in Kolkata. I did it.
P3: Have you read probability?
Yes Sir.
P3: Ok then tell us…( he gave a simple problem on total probability and Baye’s Theorem)
I did it and told him the answer. He didn’t check it properly. He just asked me how I did it. I explained clearly.
Then there was a discussion about my scholarship and my extra curricular certificates.
P2: And what do you do in your spare time?
Sir, I play Sudoku and card games, listen to music and read books sometimes.
P3:You play Bridge?
No Sir. I play 29 and Hearts.
P3: Oh. I play bridge. And I don’t consider these two card games.
Sir, but they are played with cards.
P3 starts laughing.
P3: Do you know anyone who has studied Stats and taken PGP after that?
No Sir. Personally I don’t know anyone like that.
P3: Then what made you decide so?
I explained them. This answer I had prepared after a very bad mock PI experience.
P1: So when is your next interview?
I told them.
P3: Thank you Nishant. Please take some candy.
No questions were asked on economics .It was a good interview where only relevant questions were asked. Rather a lucky one since they didn’t ask anything except basic statistics.

Interview Experience - IIM Shillong #2


WORKING IN IBM INDIA-2.5 YEARS ELECTRONICS AND TELECOMMUNICATION FROM JUINTERVIEW PANELIST:- THREE PERSONS. One person was very senior, others were middle aged.

P1: Are you working in IBM? In sector 5?
P1: What do you think, Is SLR necessary for photography?
P2: (As I told them about quality) what do you mean by quality?
P1: Who won Oscar for life time achievement?
P1: In which year?
P1: Who is his favourite photographer?
P2: What are the countries that share boundaries with India?
P2: What is the capital o Bhutan?
P2: Where are One-Horned Rhinos found?
P2: Do you know any other wild life sanctuary apart from Kajiranga in Assam?
P2: What are the states of NE India?
P2: What is the capital of Mizoram?
P3: Do you know Ratan Tata? What is his present job?
P1: Give me an extempore on "Greed snatches a man's wisdom"
P2: What is the planning commission of India? Who is its chairman?
P2: Do you know which organization of UN takes care about children?
P2: Where is the head-quarter of UNICEF?
P3: What is your present job role?
P3: More details please………………….
P3: Do you remember anything about Network and Communication?
P3: Why a mobile phone is called cell phone?
P3: What is the shape of a cell? Why not round?
P3: What is the difference between dipole antenna and loop antenna?

Interview Experience - IIM Shillong #3

IT Engineer, 2011 pass out
28 months of IT experience in Infosys.
Venue : Kolkata

There were a total of 3 panelists : P1: guy in early 30's, P2: guy in early 40's, P3: a senior one.
P1 welcomed me in after we sat, questions started.
P1 : So what is this toastmaster (Club a Infosys, I am part of)
Me : Answered what the activities we do.
P1 : Is this not the international Toastmasters club?
Me : No this is internal to Infosys
P1 : Tell me about your experience with Infosys..
Me : told about work culture, employee cares, infrastructure, nature of work.
P1 : Do you work with the same set of people as you started with, why not , where they moved, Infosys attrition rates.
P1 : Name some people from higher management who moved out of infosys? Why?
Me : Was not able to recall Balakrishnan's name 
P1: Why are they leaving? Do you think Narayan murthy is involved? How ?
P1: How do you see Infosys at a global level.
P1 : Who do you think will win the Lok Sabha Elections this year ?
Me : Told conditions state BJP, and then some statements to back what conditions.
P1 : Why not congress?
Me : Started speaking, was interrupted.
P1 : Any other alternative other than BJP and congress.
Me : Told about AAP.
P1 : Who are the key people in AAP?
Me : named some leaders
P1 : What are their backgrounds ?
Me : told about arvind kejriwal, kumar vishwas. Was only able to recall backgrounds of these too. 
P1 : So do you think poets are good enough to run an economy ?
Me : Thee is a seven member panel working as an advisory committee for economic related activities. Other experts from industry also joining in.
P1 : Do you feel AAP is going on a recruitment drive without a salary with out any kind of other checks?
Me : Told about the huge 12 page form required to be filled in before joining the party which includes various questions.
P2 : What do you do in your free time?
Me : Said cooking
Then got some questions on types of cuisines, traditional bengali food.
P2 : Who were the key persons involved in the amendment of Indian Constitution
Me : Could recall only B.R.Ambedkar
P2 : What the rights and duties? How do you differentiate?
Me: told about 2-3 rights and a duty about paying taxes, abiding by the law.
P2: If I as a citizen of India find you are not paying taxes can I sue you in the Indian Penal court?
Me : Not sure
P3: Looking at my marksheets.. Tell me about operations research?
Me : A subject I had in 5th semester but forgot everything. Was not able to speak a word.
P3 : OK..so What have you learnt in engineering that you are applying in Infosys?
Me : Told about Java and SDLC
P3 : Name some SDLC models
Me : Waterfall, iterative waterfall..stopped
P3 : Take up a scenario of a project and apply waterfall model to it.
Me: told about various phases.. Got questions with feasibility, design phase.
P3 : Difference between data mining and data warehousing.
Me : Told, although he dint seem satisfied.
P3 : What is SAP? ( I used it while answering the previous question)
Me : Told a little bit.
P3 : You also had Industrial management as a subject, what did you learn there?
Me : Hardly could make any here.
P3 : Thank you, Looked at the other..do you have any questions..they said no.
P1 : Thank you, have a candy.
Me : took 1, Thanked them, wished them a good day ahead.

Note :-More to come keep following.

No comments:

Post a Comment