Monday, December 22, 2014

Interview Experience - IIM Lucknow #1

Name :- Piyush Beriwala
Name of the institute: IIM Lucknow

Essay & GD:
Topic: Engine is the heart of a airplane and the pilot is its soul
Number of Ppl present : 9
Time: 2pm
Brief Snapshot of the attempt:
Time given : 15mins each for essay and GD.
Experience : Was lucky to get a good topic. Forgot to carry my wristwatch and couldnt find any wall clock in the room so was a little tensed cos I'm not good at completing essay within the time-limit (IIFT mein messed up). So started writing after 2mins thinking. A decent essay but only problem was I focussed only on the individual aspect of it. GD was good enough, brought in different perspectives with some good examples. came in 4-5 times.
PI:
Panel Members Intro: 2 profs middle aged. P1 a little strict P2 full on friendly 
Questions:
P2 : So Piyush Beriwala you worked for ebiz.com pvt ltd as a diplomat. what was it all about?
Me : Sir, it was a Multi-level Marketing company based out of Noida.
P2 : Can you explain me what was it?
Me : Sir, we used to promote computer education packages through the MLM business model and receive commissions based on that.
P2 : So you were a Diplomat there, What were your responsibilities?
Me : Explained him what is a Diplomat and went onto explain that as such we're not assigned any responsibility explicitly but I took on a lot of them, like training distributors, taking mass meetings, product promotional seminars in big auditoriums almost every weekend, solving any big issues, promoting my network in other cities and states, managing 17,000 people who were there in my network.
P2 : Why did you leave the company then?
Me : Explained that wasnt satisfied with the services of the company and there was no repurchase income, so couldn't see good prospects with the company.
P2 : What was the attrition rate in the company?
Me : around 90%, explained the reasons and added it with my reason of quitting.
P1 : So you were not employed so how can we consider that as a work-ex?
Me : Explained regarding self-employed stuff, reasons for joining, learning through the work, Cat form having no such option and form 16A
P2 : You're a IT engg from?
Me : Sir, CS engg from IEM, its nearby, stupid me even went on to show the direction with my hands
P2 : Tell me the diff between hardware and software and dont tell me something that you can touch and that you cant ( I wasnt going to do so either sir :P)
Me : Hardware is the physical structure of a computer and blah blah blah...
P2 : Examples of both
Me : C,c++ for software
P2 : but thats programming language, isnt it?
Me : Sir but we can use them to run softwares like oracle , MS office n all. (could have answered better)
P2 : What is an open source software?
Me : Told about joomla and that we dont need to buy the license for open source and can build upon it.
P2 : Can we change the code of an open source software?
Me : Sir, I did tweak the code myself so it is possible but not sure whether its allowed legally or not.
P2 : Explain me why is the IRCTC site down between 10am n 11.30am?
Me : Sir lot of traffic for tatkal reservations so high server load n blah blah blah (explained the diff I noticed after rail budget too)
P2 : What you just explained was something which is good for a layman like me who doesnt know about CS much. I want a more technical answer.
Me : Sir, I studied all this 4yrs back so cant recollect the technical terms it was spying or something (spoofing it was probably), but told the concept that people divert heavy traffic onto irctc website which exceeds its bandwidth so things dont respond. Increasing server capacity would be better.
P1 : (comes in for the second time) Do you know anything about the IT industry?
Me : Yes sir, I know a little. IT industry contributes 9-10% of our GDP currently. Its aprrox 200 bn $ industry, 100 bn $ worth of .. CUT IN BETWEEN
P1 : What is Dollar ??? (where did this come from)
Me : It is the currency of US.
P1 : And you're from? So why dollars?
Me : Sir, obviously I should use rupees but generally GDPs are calculated in dollars and moreover it is easier to remember the numbers in one currency else I will get confused and I can anytime convert it in Indian currency whenever I want.
P1 : So...
Me : Sir, can I complete about IT?
P1 : Sure
Me : Sir, projects worth 100 bn $ are up for renewal this year. Told about medium sized companies like Mindtree coming up and importance of cost-effectiveness.
P1 : Who is the Minister of IT?
Me : Sir, I know Kapil Sibbal is the minister of telecom, not sure about IT, but probably they're the same department.
P1 : So where did you use your engg in your work?
Me : Explained that I couldn't use it much other than teaching HTML to some students of my company to raise their interest in computers.
P1 : What happened with the pope recently?
Me : I said he took premature retirement, first pope to resign on his own (wasnt the first but first in last 800 yrs)
P1 : What was the reason? Whats his name?
Me : Dont know the reason and name I can guess but not sure if he was the one or the one before this one Pope John Paul II ( Benedict XVI it was )
P1 : Has the new pope been elected? (asked 3 times)
Me : I said yes confidently the first time and P2 was nodding the head in agreement subconciously so got more confidence and said yes to next 2 times too.
P1 : whats his nationality?
Me : cant recall sir.
P1 : So what else you like to do?
Me : Sir, I like to read self-help and motivational books to improve myself continously and I believe in self-learning so I keep doing stuff on wikipedia.
P1 : So which things interests you?
Me : Sir, Science (stupid me should have said stuff like economics, subprime crisis, had a hell lot of info on all this). Went onto say that I always had this curosity that who owns greenland and antarctica. So searched stuff just like that.
P1 : Have you heard of Fexxx Islands?
Me : Might be sir cant recall, have read a lot. I studied about an island in the pacific which is 20,000 kms (5000km it was) away from nearest airport.
P1 : So why suddenly MBA?
Me : Explained my interest in business since ebiz and that my learning being limited to marketing and inter-personal skills and MBA will help me learn general management and get a brand name.
P1 : What else interests you?
Me : Told that Im a very social person, have lots of friends. I like to motivate people for entrepreneurship and I like going to places, have seen all of India except N.East, I like to learn languages, Told a line in Telugu.
P1 : Tell me about your family.
Me : told, but wasnt fluent in answering, told about the adversities I faced in life.
P2 : So you took a loan to finance your studies?
Me : Yes sir and I cleared it myself and Im financing my studies since I was in Class VIII.
P1 : ok we're done.
Me : thank you sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment