Sunday, December 21, 2014

Interview Experience - IIM Bangalore #1

IIM B experience(Currently a student of IIMB, batch 2013-15)Name :- Jyothi NathanyProfile:98.62 percentileChartered AccountantCompany Secretary6 months of work ex in family businessGeneral

WAT topic:” Cookery shows on TV are changing the eating habits of the Indian Middle class adversely and are also responsible for causing obesity”
Till now I really don’t know what they would have expected from such a topic but as we were given the liberty to interpret the same creatively, I wrote about how the news media and the reality shows on TV cook up stories, adding more spices to it so as to make them more palatable. Connecting it with the middle class, my whole point was the way these shows emphasize on being materialistic indirectly making the middle class to opt for loans and spend on non-essential goods making themselves obese (fat being the useless intakes)
PI( panel of 2 female faculty members)
As I entered the room, one of them said to the other that she was the only person to be smiling during the WAT. And they both looked at me and smiled.
NOTE: They took my smile in a very positive way as they got convinced that i can smile even during tensed moments. So, don’t lose your calm, don’t forget basic manners of wishing them good morning/afternoon also when you enter for WAT. It gets noticed for sure.
The first question was straight from my SOP wherein I mentioned that I am a Marwari. Ma’am was interested in knowing 2 good things about the community and 2 bad things.
So, i talked about violating tax laws as one of the bad things and elaborated using few commonly misused mechanics for tax evasion. Thereafter, 50% of my interview was about tax and advice to finance minister (Tax was nowhere mentioned in my SOP but it was actually my strength so I played around with it beginning from the very first answer thereby successfully steering the interview in the direction of my strength)
45% of the interview was about my dad’s business, what inputs have I given and how much I knew about the industry and the rest was about my extra-currics wherein i had mentioned about public speaking on which they asked me a few questions
NOTE: Overall the interview experience was very calm. They mainly check on your SOP and at times create situations to check your confidence. In my case, one of the panelists was continuously showing mistrust in my answers and she kept repeating the same question but i gave the same answer with equal composure each time.
All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment